Monday 6 August 2012

London 2012 Games Maker: downtime in the mixed zone

The morning athletics session on Saturday

After all the excitement of Friday and Saturday, it was nice to have a quiet shift in the velodrome.

I was lucky enough to go to both the morning and evening sessions of the athletics on my day off on Saturday. What a day. All topped by three GB golds in the stadium – a night I will never forget.

It was hard to get myself back up for my shift yesterday after that. I felt like I had a hangover – despite not drinking anything on Saturday. It was such an emotionally charged evening. I was shot.

Just as well then that my shift yesterday was on the quietest day in the velodrome. I was assigned getting the placed riders in the Men’s Sprint.

I managed to get quotes from Jimmy Watkins – an American rider who is actually a full-time fireman who trains in his spare time. Sometimes you forget that a lot of these athletes have day jobs to fund their dreams. It’s quite inspiring.

Like most Americans – and I mean this in a good way – he had a lot to say. It certainly makes my job easier when you are not trying to coax quotes out of people. No such trouble with the Americans. Jimmy was just made up to be at the Olympics and it was quite humbling to hear someone over the moon with just being there and competing.

Once those quotes were filed I went to the Men’s Omnium press conference and was assigned Ed Clancy of Great Britain, the bronze medallist. He is quite a character and had some great quotes about crashing with the Danish gold medallist in the scratch race.

Once those were filed I made the mad dash home to watch the 100m final, which I did with 20 minutes to spare – the 10pm start time did me a favour there.

So, I’m back in today. We have Jason Kenny in the Men’s Sprint and Laura Trott starting the Women’s Omnium. I can’t wait for her elimination race tonight.

And then, finally, it will be the big day on Tuesday when Victoria Pendleton, Sir Chris Hoy and Laura finish up. We could see three GB gold medals in one session and also some emotional Olympic farewells from two of our greatest cyclists. 

Not sure I can take much more. Actually, I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment